I have been working on a crazy theory about how Guardians of the Galaxy, Agents of Shield, Inhumans, and even Captain Marvel could all interconnect in the MCU. It even involves who Starlord’s father is, and maybe even his grandfather. It could also explain the unsolved easter egg that James Gunn has mentioned.
Update: Before we go on, I would like to say that I had been thinking of this for a while and wrote it up before James Gunn shared his decision not to comment on any more guesses/speculations about GotG2. I respect and kinda agree with his sentiment that we can get too carried away with our thirst for spoilers or our impatience while waiting for a film to come out and as such might ruin some surprises. If I truly felt I was on to a real thing or had any small piece of solid evidence that would lead to spoiling the movie I wouldn’t post it. This is just rampant speculation that has been a fun romp through various wiki pages, diving into the Marvel Universe. I can see how much individual characters and their personal stories matter to Gunn and that excitement is what has encouraged me to jump into the lore of obscure or lesser known characters and come up with the silly little mess. Anyways, on with the show.
So I have been thinking a lot about the easter egg in GotG that James Gunn says has not been found yet and it has led me all over the place looking for connections. I have pulled these connections into a waaaayy out there theory that is in all reality not even close to true but is just crazy enough that maybe it could happen. I tried to go back through io9 and O-Deck to find a couple of the more relevant things I have seen but let me know if there are some I can edit back into this. Also, I openly admit that Kevin Garcia’s amazing Secrets of Shield recaps have had the greatest influence on enthusiasm for thinking so much about this.
Spoilers but I doubt it.
Something I saw in the GotG BluRay special features got me started on this path. The Galactic Adventurer Featurette has an 8-bit game version of the events in the movie playing out. During the Xandar chase portion there are two figures NOT in the movie shown standing on the bridge. The first is Beta Ray Bill who James Gunn has said is NOT in the Collector’s Museum or anywhere else in the movie. The other is Starhawk. Starhawk has been reported to be one of Gunn’s favorite characters and he has also said he would be bringing a favorite character to GotG Vol. 2. Knowing little about Starhawk I went on a wiki-binge and the following craziness came together.
1. One of Starhawk’s names is “Giver of Light” and Quill’s mom says that his father was a being of pure light. He also has the power to manipulate light. In the comics Starhawk is raised by the Reavers but in the MCU he could just be associated with them leaving the “raised by reavers” shtick to Peter. He also has a fated life cycle of dying to be reborn in his own infant body over and over again, trying each time to optimize the outcome of events and he is known to travel through time. (Update: A thought I had after writing this up that popped up again in the comments is that the Time Stone could be the device that Starhawk would use for time-shenanigans in the MCU.) This will come into play later. So Starhawk could be Starlord’s father and I’m not the only one who thinks so.
2. Starhawk is raised by reavers because he was kidnapped as an infant and abandoned on Arcturus. So, who are his parents? Does it even matter? Yes! His parents are Quasar and Kismet. So what? Here’s what.
3. Quasar uses the Quantum Bands. Who else uses those? The Kree known as Captain Mar-Vell. He could easily be in reference in MCU lore as cleaning up after Ronan or some such. The important thing is that his DNA is what gives Carol Danvers, AKA Ms./Captain Marvel, her powers. And there is a Captain Marvel movie in the works so that history will have to be delved into at some point.
4. So about Kismet. She is the female version of Adam Warlock. Literally, she was the second try for a created perfect being after Adam Warlock was made. She even uses a cocoon just like Warlock. I’ll let that sink in for a sec. A cocoon. Like Warlock. Like the one that is in the Collector’s museum. Like the one that Gunn has said is NOT Warlock’s. Kismet is in the cocoon and then escapes after the Orb explodes. Then, like in the comics, she goes flying off to find a perfect mate, Quasar.
5. So back to Quasar for a second. How would his character play into the MCU? Easy. Right now we know him as Will Daniels, the astronaut on the planet that Simmons went to in AoS. The name change game could be easy to play (Skye/Daisy) where his real name was not used in the NASA program. But why does this matter?
6. Because that planet is Eon. Some people think it could be Ego, but here is my evidence for Eon. Eon is the offspring of Eternity and Infinity, two of the four creators of the Infinity Stones who are shown on a mosaic in the temple of Morag in GotG. He is cosmic entity described as being the size of a small universe but with the ability to manipulate his size. Also, he is the creator of the quantum bands. And he gives them to Mar-Vell to be the Protector of the Universe as the champion of life. To fight the champion of Death. Thanos.
7. About the wraith that is harassing Will and Simmons? I dub him, Maelstrom. Maelstrom has Inhuman DNA although he is also half Deviant on his mother’s side. His father is banished from Attilan for cloning experiments. One of the big things Maelstrom is involved with is an Anti-Terrigen Mist formula. Something that the ATCU would very much like to get its hands on and something that could be a plot point in AoS or the Inhumans movie. But, his connection to Eon and Quasar is when he becomes the avatar of Oblivion and assumes the powers of the abstract being of anomaly. Perhaps that is why the planet seems so determined in keeping Will from getting back to Earth. It is really Maelstrom messing around with Eon.
8. The Wild Card. Here is where things get a little too loose in this madness. Eon has an offspring called Era who is evil and also happens to be the one who kidnapped Starhawk in the first place. I can’t find much on Era so it is hard to tell how exactly he could be connected to all of this.
So here is how I see this playing out in the MCU. Quasar/Will gets the Quantum Bands in AoS and returns to Earth after a tussle with Maelstrom. Kismet meets up with Quasar at some point and they have darling little Starhawk. Starhawk Travels back in time and fathers Peter Quill. Meanwhile, perhaps Mar-Vell gets the Quantum Bands after Quasar is killed in a reverse of timing from the comics and then comes in contact with Carol Danvers. Also meanwhile, the Inhumans/Maelstrom/Anit-terrigen Mist drama is playing itself out. I’m sure someone can add some sanity to this mess but I just had to get these things out there. They have been like a catchy song just repeating over and over in my head. Feel free to fill in the gaps or make tweaks.
Extra Spoiler Alert for AoS!
P.S. I watched this week’s AoS after I wrote this all out and it got me thinking of a couple things to add as a footnote. It seems like the Inhumnas were responsible for banishing one of their own a long time ago with good intentions, just like when they banished Maelstrom’s father Phaeder for genetic experimentation. Maybe it was Agon, Inhuman King and father of Black Bolt who was part of the council at the time. But now it seems as though a sinister group of Inhumans conspired to bring him back with the help of the likes of Hydra. Somehow Phaeder and Maelstrom made it back to Earth and figure out how to transfer their spirits through cloning new bodies. The Red Skull also does this in the comics. Could it be that Maelstrom and Red Skull make it back to Earth together? I have always thought that the Tesseract just pulled Red Skull across the universe but that he is alive and scheming.
P.P.S. It dawned on me while making an edit that Will Daniels may be a Hydra agent after the revalations on AoS but he could also just as easily be a pawn like Andrew/Lash.
ADDED: Top image and paragraph, extra link.